Play With Purpose.
Sign up to the Panther Hoops newsletter for news, events, training and other information
The Panther Hoops International Basketball Academy has a mission to provide a Metro Vancouver community-based basketball program. To positively impact players, families, coaches and fans both on and off the basketball court. Key to Panther Hoops Basketball is to assist athletes to reach their potential. Whether at a recreational or elite level through top tier coaching and instruction.
Panther Hoops Basketball started 13 years ago with one team, that has now grown to a program that has over 100 players annually enrolled. Panther Hoops Basketball can boast having over 20 of its alumni moving on to compete competitively at the post-secondary level.
The foundation of Panther Hoops Basketball is to be a program where players can grow as individuals and athletes with well-rounded athletic instruction and guidance. Whether the player is grassroots or elite, the foundation is built on faith, hard work and teamwork. Players are getting instruction on skill development, basketball concepts, fitness, team play and game understanding.
Learn more about our commitment to player development and performance training.
Coach Dowell is entering his 4th season as the Head Coach after taking over in December of 2016. Coach Dowell was a two-sport athlete in University where he did High Jump as well as played basketball. With over 23 years of coaching experience Coach Dowell has coached at the high school, college, and national level, including 8 years with Canada Basketball’s Centre for Performance. Coach Dowell has 2 sons, Keenan & Cody and wife Heidi.
Coach Gill has a long history in local grassroots basketball, and developing players through the FUNdamentals. Prior to joining the coaching staff in 2018, Coach Gill has been part of grassroots basketball and high school basketball for over 14 years. He has spent time with the Tri-Cities Youth Basketball League, Basketball BC, and is the co-founder of the Coquitlam West Basketball Club. Along with all this Coach Gill was also Coach at Coquitlam’s Centennial Secondary. His experience and tireless energy on all the little things are reflected in his belief that “A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player”
Coach Ma brings energy, passion and love for the game to help coach and mentor the prep team and its players. Coach Ma was the Head Coach at Fraser Valley Adventist (2012-2014) and served as an assistant and was mentored under Coach Goulet at Pitt Meadows Secondary (2014-2017). He now plays an important role as an assistant coach for BC Christian Prep since 2018.
Coach Goulet is a popular figure in any gym around British Columbia. Most well known for his Pitt Meadows Secondary teams where he won 3 AAA BC Provincial Title. Coach Goulet joined the coaching staff in the fall of 2017. Goulet has over 50 years of coaching experience at the high school, national and provincial level. Goulet is the all time winning-est coach in BC High School Boys Basketball history.
- Glen started competitive running when he was 9 years old. He is one of 4 brothers, which may explain why he started running at such an early age.
- His athletic ability led him to the Elite Track and Field High School (Michael Power, Toronto Ontario) where Glen won an Ontario Gold, and set an Ontario record in the 4x100m relay.
- After high school, Glen moved to Trinidad where he started his career as a baker under his father’s tutelage, who was a master baker himself. Glen moved from Trinidad to Toronto and then to BC after his 2 sons were born.
- Glen started his coaching career in BC, by helping out with his sons’ baseball, basketball and school track and field teams.
- Glen’s accolades in coaching came in 2001, when he coached winners of the 100m and 200m individual races, and the 2nd place boys and 4th place girls track and field teams in the BC Finals.
- Glen was a conditioning coach with the Centennial Boys Basketball Team, and guided them to many achievements including a top 10 title and an undefeated season in 2018.
- Glen is the conditioning coach for the Coquitlam West Basketball Club (CWC), which has steadily produced competitive players at the high school level.
Lee played as a power forward at High School in England, then represented the Royal Navy Juniors and the Naval Air Command Senior Team during his military service. Lee’s playing career continued, winning a UK National Police Championship Medal with the West Midlands Police Service.
He represented England and Great Britain Police Teams in Europe and won a British National League Division 2 Championship with Solihull Chiefs. He coached the West Midlands Police Women’s Team and was active in an inner-city community, founding and coaching youth basketball camps.
Lee emigrated to Canada in 2002 and continued his playing career with the Vancouver Police Department’s Team and helped support the Police Athletic League Basketball Program in local schools and youth programs. Lee coached in the Langley, Steve Nash League and has assisted coaches in other local programs.
Lee is married to Cindy and their twin boys, Jack and Will, are exciting prospects in the Panther Hoops International Academy Program.